Tuesday, March 5, 2013

LOVE ONE'S COMMUNITY by Paul Nixon

As I reflect on my love for my community, in terms of the physical gathering of human beings that live within five miles of my house, it makes me homesick.  As I write this, I am almost 8000 miles from home, as the bird flies.  I do not live in a perfect place - far from it - in fact there are aspects of the city I call home that are just detestable - but it is a place that I have embraced nonetheless.  It is home.  Across the years, I have lived in ten cities.  Of the ten, I fell in love with all but one.  Ironically I was sent to the one as a United Methodist pastor, and it was about the worst job I ever did trying to pastor anybody or anything.  
I work about two thirds of my professional time with church planters and the whole enterprise of planting new faith communities.  We we have a rule about this kind of ministry and task - that unless a person and their family are ready to embrace and fall in love with the place where they are planting the church, it will be a long painful slog.   So in my denomination, where bishops often appoint people to plant churches, we warn the bishops that this is a special kind of appointment - likely to fail unless the person sent really digs the place.   

But to a significant degree, this is really true of all church leaders in all situations, lay and clergy.  Show me a church where the key leaders of the church really don't love the people of the community around them, and I will show you an at-risk congregation!  An endangered species!  Quite possibly a fortress or a pilgrimage site for the descendants of the folks who used to live in the neighborhood.

Do you love your neighborhood?  What would it take for you and your church to fall in love again with it?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Paul, for your perpective of loving your neighborhood. I talked this morning with a pastor who is recognizing that the church's ministry to the children of their community is very different and more diverse than it has been in the past. There are those who are struggling with this difference, mainly because these new children are not "our" children. However, God is calling us to reach God's children! What does this look like in your community?

    ReplyDelete