Saturday, June 1, 2013

PARTY ANIMALS by Paul Nixon

This book was going to be a nine-chapter book, until I did one more read of the gospels and hit the party theme.  Of course it was there all along, maybe too obvious.  It is perhaps appropriate that I did this last read while on a cruise.  

I grew up a very serious kid.  This aspect of my life - my party side - has been late in developing.  My mother is incredulous at how many parties I throw, given the fact that most of the time she could not even get me to throw a birthday party.  Some things we have to learn.  For me this has been one of those things.  I also used to think I was an introvert.  I am not sure where I came up with that idea - but ultimately its irrelevant.  The joy of a good party is available to both introverts and extraverts!   Introverts just relish hanging on the sidelines in deeper conversation.  The extravert plays the whole room.  Its all good.  

I don't think there is any good reason to say that we will only play some of Jesus' strategies as change agents, based on some kind of idea about our personality or our own comfort zones.  If I can learn to throw parties (and go to them), any of us can learn to do any of this stuff. 


No comments:

Post a Comment